Raise your hand if you like bananas and cake! (Ooh me, me, me!)
OK, all of you come with me. We’re makin’ vegan banana bread!
Peeps, I am not much of a baker, but for almost over two years there has been one recipe that I recommend to anyone who first intends to bake vegan. This 10-ingredient banana bread is so easy to make, delicious and healthy, it will please anyone!
For the dough I only use wholemeal spelt flour. Spelt, an ancient cereal grain, is a distant cousin to wheat. It has a nutty, slightly sweet flavor. I use spelt flour as a substitute for wheat or white flour when baking bread, no matter if sweet or savory. Because spelt flour contains gluten, you are less likely to compromise the texture of baked goods. Compared to wheat flour, spelt flour is richer in many nutrients, such as protein and minerals.
This recipe is astonishing easy to recreate and modify. In various moments of creative boldness I added cocoa nibs, vanilla or chocolate protein powder, superfoods or pieces of fresh fruit, depending on my mood. It always turns out great! Put your moisty banana bread in a fancy dress and cover it with nuts, seeds, fresh or dried fruit, chocolate, peanut butter and whatever else you can think of. It will not only taste heavenly but also look delicious and very instaworthy.
I love this banana bread/cake because it´s:
- Perfectly (naturally) sweet
- Studded with crunchy nuts
- My favorite thing in the world
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it (which really helps me out!), and don’t forget to take a picture and tag it #vegannomadlife on Instagram! I’d love to see what you come up with.
And now its time to make your own!
+- 1 hour
10-ingredient banana bread infused with your favorite nuts and dried apricots, slightly moist on the inside, and perfect alongside breakfast items, as dessert or in between meals – Because really anytime is good for banana bread.
Author: Jen May Recipe type: Sweet treats
- 2 cups wholemeal spelt flour
- 1,5 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup oil (melted coconut oil or sunflower oil do a great job)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk
- 2/3 cup chopped apricots (or other dried fruit of choice)
- 2/3 cup chopped nuts (chose your favorites)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 C) and lightly grease a sand cake mold baking dish with coconut oil or line with parchment paper.
- In a big bowl mix flour, backing powder and cinnamon. In a second bowl, mix sugar, oil, mashed bananas and add milk and vanilla to the liquid.
- Combing dry and wet ingredients by adding the dry flour mix to the liquid. Stir well and add dried apricots and nuts.
- Pour the dough into the baking dish and bake aprox. 50 min depending on how moist you want your bread to be, you can bake it 5 minutes more or less.
- Let it cool down (yeah, thats a tough one) and top it with all the goodies you can find in your kitchen. This is delicious on its own, but would also be great paired with Coconut Whipped Cream or Ice Cream. Let your creativity run wild!
- Store completely cooled leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge up to a few days. Will keep in the freezer up to 1 month.