A Simple One-Pot Curry Recipe For Every Day
I believe that food can both nourish your body and feed your soul. Food literally changes your feelings – as science has proved.
Certain hormonal cocktails are the reason why comfort food provokes such strong feelings, gives us pleasure and joy. But the interaction between diet and psyche is complex. Our parents play a big role in our relationship with food, too. We are trained in our early years, to link certain foods with pleasure. Chocolate before bedtime, rice pudding from Grandma, pizza night once a month…
One of my favourite comfort foods is Curry!
Curry is known to contain spices that have healing powers. Can there possibly be a better comfort food than a deliciously creamy bowl of veggie curry?
This is why I decided to share this special recipe with you. Because we all are in need of a little comfort sometimes – or really just of a great and simple Curry 😉
Sweet Potato & Chickpea Curry in Coconut Cream
This Curry is:
This is what you need:
1 can of chickpeas, drained
2 carrots, peeled and sliced
3 small potatoes, peeled and sliced
1 sweet potato, peeled and sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
1 small onion, peeled and diced
1 clove of garlic, diced
1 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and diced
2 tbsp coconut oil
100 ml water
1 cup coconut milk
3 tbsp tomato paste
cumin, curry, pepper
a pinch of cinnamon
salt and pepper
This is how you do it:
- Fry potatoes, carrot, onion and garlic in a deep pan with coconut oil for 10 minutes.
- Add ginger, bell pepper, chickpeas and let simmer 5 minutes more. Add water if necessary and stir.
- Add coconut milk and tomato paste and stir well. Cook for 20 minutes at medium heat.
- Add spices, salt and pepper to taste. I like to add spices in the end, but you could easily do it after adding coconut milk and before cooking. If you want it thinner, add more water.
- Serve in a bowl, topped with fresh cilantro.
The best comfort food strategy: Cooking. It is a stress killer and lets you forget your worries for a moment. Some might even say it is better than meditation. Just try it when you are feeling low. How happy does it make you to create a delicious meal with your own hands. And what a joy is it, to share that meal with friends and family?
For more inspiration and visit 3dots.fitness!