Your family and friends will rave when you serve them this amazing German Apple Pie!
This is without lying one of my most requested recipes.
A friend ́s birthday coming up? A new flatmate moved in? Is it already Sunday again? Time to bake German Apple Pie! By now I can probably recite the ingredients in my sleep. Actually, I am pretty sure that I do dream of Apple Pie once in a while… Fresh from the oven and topped with vanilla caramel ice-cream. Hallelujah.
This family favorite is as simple and quick as it is comforting and delightful. My grandma is the proud creator of a German delicacy, or “Apfelstreuselkuchen” as she would say. Don’t worry if this tongue-twister challenges you, I know what will definitely not… You guessed it. Making a bad-ass vegan German Apple Pie.
The Story of an Apple Pie
Originally this was not a plant-based treat. But my grandma, as caring as she is, wanted to make sure all her grand- and great-grandchildren could enjoy her baking skills and veganized all of her recipes. Yes, my grandma is pretty amazing.
Until the day I am still the only vegan in the family. And grandma has 4 kids and their spouses, 8 grandchildren, their boyfriends and girlfriends plus 6 great-grandchildren to feed. That is a lot of pie. And to be blunt, nobody eats only one piece of cake when Grandma calls to the table.
Oma makes this pie with organic apples from her own garden – could it get any more stereotypical? Whenever I think of her, I see my Oma in her small kitchen, the window facing a front-yard with a dark red cobblestone path and huge green trees full of delicious fruit that just waits for you to pick it. Oma would start kneading dough as soon as a kid would announce a visit. Grandma is the heart of the family, holding us together like glue keeping the pages of a book in order.
Let’s get started
Invite the smell of vanilla and cinnamon to your home or bake this traditional pie wherever your travels take you. It will embrace your heavy soul when you feel down or homesick, it will put a smile on the face of family members and friends and let them know, you care.
Traditional German Apple Pie
– 2 big bowls
– a wooden spoon
– a backing dish, round (20cm) or square(38x25cm) – parchment paper
– a grater for the apple
– strainer for the powdered sugar
For the dough
– 3 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour – 1 cup of melted coconut oil
– 2 very ripe, mashed bananas
– 1 tbsp backing powder
– 1/2 cup of brown sugar
For the apple filling
– 3 big, sweet apples
– 1 tbsp cinnamon
– 2 tbsp raisins (optional)
For the crumble mixture
– 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour – 1 cup of brown sugar
– 1 cup of melted coconut oil
For the topping (optional)
– 1/3 cup powdered sugar
How you do it:
It all starts with preheating the oven. 180°C should do the job. That is about 350°F to safe you the Google search.
- We start with the dough. Take one of the bowls and give flour, baking powder and brown sugar into it. Mix it well, using the wooden spoon.
- In the second bowl, blend bananas and coconut oil until smooth. Give these wet ingredients to the dry and blend well.
- Lay out the backing dish of your choice with parchment paper. Give the dough into the form and use your sweet little fingers to press it down gently. Make sure you form a nice crust on the sides of the backing dish, not thicker than 1 cm (or your pinky).
- Let ́s get on the filling! Now this is very easy, yet a bit dangerous. Believe me, I have lost a couple nails on that one. Take a big grater, and work those apples through it. Watch your fingers! Once you have succeeded at this task, add cinnamon and raisins to the apple mix. Then give the filling on the dough and again use your fingers to press it on gently.
- Time to make the crumbs. This is undeniably the most fun part! Take a bowl (you can use the one you had before to make the dough), give flour, sugar and oil into it and blend. You could use your fingers for this, wich makes I would highly recommend. Mash it all together and crumble that shit over your cake. No rules. Express yourself freely.
- Time to clean up the mess you just made, while you let your Pie bake in the oven for 50 long minutes. Don’t burn your fingers trying to eat the cake from the baking dish, once the timer goes off. Leave it to cool out and top it with powdered sugar, using the strainer. Let it snow!