How to Make Perfect Pancakes – In Only 5 Minutes
Peeps, if you follow me for a while you will know that there is this one thing that I try again and again and it still fails approx. 4 out of 5 times. Maybe you feel the same about this, maybe you think I am crazy:
But hell, I love pancakes and yes it is worth the pain! 😉
I tried for months to respect the pancake Sunday tradition, but man, I honestly suck (pardon the language) at making pancakes. The length of my list of excuses (it must be the pan, this was the wrong wheat, the temperature was too low,…) is only beaten by the number of recipes that I tried.
The beautiful pictures of mile high piles of symmetrically shaped pancakes really started to frustrate me. Why oh why could I not manage to recreate evenly beautiful – and delicious things?!
How did I come up with the decision to find a solution? It must have been in the beach house down at the Jersey Shore, where I watched Joey´s mom cook up some delicious non-vegan pancakes for the family members and friends, that had joined us at the beach house for labor day weekend. The pancakes looked and smelled so delicious and mouthwatering, I was determined to proof I could do the same – vegan style of course.
I researched the internet and consulted a well known IG pancake artist and good friend (Ines I am talking of you, yes) until I decided to give it a last try.
This is what I whipped up:
Looking good right? Yeah, I can’t hide how proud I am either. And of course, I am not going to keep this recipe to myself. So here is my secret to the perfect “Vegan Style 5 Minute Pancakes”. And no, it is not about the pan or the wheat. I promise!
These pancakes are:
Vegan Style 5 Minute Pancakes
1 cup flour (I use spelt flour, it is my favorite)
1 tablespoon sugar (I use organic cane sugar)
2 tablespoons baking powder (yes, two!)
a pinch teaspoon salt
1 cup soy or almond milk
2 tablespoons olive oil or other vegetable oil
What you do:
- Set out all your ingredients.
- Set a stove element with a pan to medium heat.
- Combine the 4 dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder) in a large bowl.
- Add the plant milk and vegetable oil to your mixture.
- Mix until smooth.
- Now the pan should be ready for your batter, so spoon one pancakes’ worth of the mixture into the pan.
- Flip when you see bubbles in the middle of the pancake, or if the edges are looking stiffened.
- Repeat until the batter is gone, and try not to eat them all while you’re cooking them 😉
- Serve your pancakes with peanut butter and jelly, apple sauce, chocolate or nice cream!
Good luck making your own, but honestly you almost don’t need it with this recipe! Let me know how it went and leave a comment below!
Best, Jen May
One out 5 times… I actually managed to make decent pancakes happened to be for veggie paradise Veganz. Make sure to check out their recipe page for a lot more food porn – vegan style of course.