Opposites often attract. So it is not a surprise that vegans, vegetarians and omnivores mix and mingle. If you are not a vegan, but found a date-worthy person that renounced the consumption of meat and dairy, you may relax. Here is what you need to know!
1. Vegans love to eat. Like seriously. We are eating machines. We devour hummus, potatoes and bananas by the kilo. Not kidding. So if you wonder how to win a vegan's heart: A bucket of vegan ice cream usually is a good start.
2. We can eat anywhere, but we will love you forever if you take us to a vegan restaurant. The excitement on a vegan's face on the way to a fully vegan restaurant is priceless. Just be prepared that it might take us a while to decide what we want. After all we are not used to blindly pick anything from a menu! Also you can proof that you are thoughtful and able to live without meat and dairy for one meal.
3. Ask us honest questions and you'll get an honest answer. We love your open-mindedness! Which to us is - by the way, also very sexy. And don't worry, we (mostly) learned not to judge people by their diet. Most of our friends and family are not vegan. We would be pretty alone in the world if we did. One question should after all, pleeeease be avoided. The famous: "Where do you get your protein from?" Or did you not want that second date anyways?
4. Don't eat your meat infront of us, the juices running down your face and all and dare to ask: "Mmmmh, don't you miss this?" This will NEVER lead to sex, actually we will avoid any physical contact at all cost, accompanied by awkward silence. All I would hear in my mind is "MISSION ABORT". I might even have set up a good friend to give me an emergency call just in case that a guy drops that sentence. Maybe...
5. You don't have to be vegan, you just have to be a good person. We are most likely still all over you (literally). Nonetheless the hope to one day have a good influence on you and possibly take part in your journey to veganism, will always remain in the back of our heads. This is why we will try extra hard with the following point.
6. We cook awesome food. True for most vegans. We can do a whole lot with very little and will impress anybody with more than 50 ways to prepare tofu. This is because we learned how to make delicious food that leaves anybody speechless. Critics can't complain when their mouth is stuffed with chocolate peanut butter lava cake.
You are happily in love with a vegan? Well, sooner or later you will have to ask the question:
Cover Photo by Adriana Velasquez / Unsplash